This hemp and quinoa salad is another meal idea from the empire body shop’s detox program. We are new to detoxing at hemp factory, but if detoxing looks this good… Where do we sign?
Ingredients / Prep and cooking time 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup mushrooms peeled and diced
- Hand full of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- Red onion
- 1 tablespoon of garlic (organic minced or 2 cloves)
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 avocado
- hemp seeds
Before getting started on any meal that contains rice, quinoa or other grains. It is important to soak them for up to 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. This helps to break down any anti-nutrients like phytates making them more bio-available and easier to digest. Although quinoa is not classed as a grain, it can cause intestinal upset if not prepared properly.
- Bring 1 cup of quinoa to the boil with 3 cups of water. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover
- Remove quinoa from heat once water is evaporated, stir and return the cover allowing to steam in its own heat
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan or skillet, add firm vegetables like carrot, zucchini, sweet corn and onion first
- Allow vegetables to fry off until soft
- Add mushroom, tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic
- Add tomato paste and continue to stir until all veggies are soft
- Stir through diced avocado once everything is cooked
Once meal is ready to serve, add to a bowl and squeeze lemon juice over quinoa for taste. Garnish generously with hemp seeds and coriander, adding a pinch of salt and pepper as desired.
Hemp seeds are an ideal addition to any vegan meal, adding vital macro-nutrients as well as assisting in iron and zinc absorption. Hemp seeds benefits a vegan diet with their high protein content and carbohydrate balance, as well as the perfect omega 3 & 6 fatty acid profile.
For more great meal ideas visit our blog page.